It’s interesting, isn’t it, the value that we people place on things. $200 is a lot of money – in some respects. In others, it’s a tiny amount.
I blogged the other day about the Proloquo2Go app – and how I felt as though the $200 I spent on it was worth it, to hear my son go from pretty much zero speech, to now volunteering, audibly and fairly intelligibly “Look, Mummy, look at all the bubbles” (washing his hands in the bathroom sink). Is $200 a lot for an App? Yes, absolutely. I don’t disagree. Nor do I regret paying it; I’m daily witnessing the results!
I guess… it’s what you compare it to. See the expenditure as ‘just another app’ and it seems ridiculous. See it as ‘educational’ and then it gets classed with other such educational expenses, right?
– It’s cheaper than Miss 8’s glasses. And HEAPS cheaper than her 6 weeks of ‘Vision Therapy’ that she attended
– It’s more expensive (but not by much) than one term’s worth of swimming lessons. For one child, that is…
– It’s cheaper than Miss 8’s orthotics; but it’s about the same price as the school shoes we bought for her just a couple of weeks ago
– It’s more expensive than school books, or school uniforms (when you buy them second hand LOL) but it’s ¼ the price of school fees for a term
– It’s roughly equivalent to Hubby & I eating out at our favourite restaurant… twice
And I could keep on going, but I’m sure you get the idea.
When it comes down to it, value is in the eye of the beholder. Do I feel as though the expense was worth it? Yup. Absolutely. And I’d do it again in a heartbeat!
5 replies on “With $200 I can…”
I hope you didn’t think I was judging(?) you for spending that much money on an app. I’m so glad its helping your little boy to communicate with you. That smile on his face and yours must make it all worthwhile 🙂
No, I didn’t feel like that at all, Jo! It just got me thinking, that’s all… So I thought ‘why not ramble my thoughts onto the blog and that way I’ll keep Jo happy at the same time’ (ie. with another blog post LOL) because yes, it *is* a lot of money… but not when you compare it to glasses, or swimming lessons etc etc etc 😀
Just happy to be back, and to be lucky enough to still have you interested in my scribblings… I like staying connected with you, dear former student of mine! 🙂
Naw 🙂 I agree, glasses etc are *extremely* expensive… 🙁 I’m glad you are back too, I don’t think I’ll ever be uninterested in reading your scribblings (I’m often bored 😛 )
I love this post. When I tell people how much I have spent on something… to them, it’s a lot. And sometimes it is. But to me, the value was worth it. I love it.
Thank you! Yes, it’s SO worth it when I can see the progress pretty much every single day! 🙂